Thursday, May 22, 2008

The back of my altered cd


Someone from the arttechniques group asked how I finished off the back of my cd's so I thought I'd post the scan and supply an explaination.

I covered the back with cardstock, by liberally applying a glue stick to the cd and burnishing on a circle I'd cut. I read a hint somewhere to cut the circle larger than the cd and cut it down to get a good fit and I have to say...it worked like a dream.

The transparency is a short history of my family moving to the US and how they came to be in Iowa. I found a font (gothenburg) that reminded me of old family documents, downloaded and installed it, typed the document in MS Word, translated it in babelfish, copy/pasted back into my Word document and voila'! I printed it out, cut more circles, used a little liquid adhesive just to hold the transparency in place and then used copper tape (for soldering stained glass etc) to finish the edge.

The label was simply typed up in the gothenburg font and adhered with the copper tape again. It's part of the definition for the word 'relic' and also says..."a bit of soil, a forgotten key, some photos and a last name". Although it's difficult to see, that is a photo of my mother taken from their wedding portrait.

2 comments:

Marva Plummer-Bruno said...

These are so cool! I'm going to have to get organized and find all those CDs I have stashed somewhere.... :) Marva

Aimeslee Winans said...

Sandi, just catching up after being a bad blogger gurl. Your CD creation is wundebar! Okay, yes, I do wish the fiber wasn't obstructing your mutter's face, although it is a very artistic presentation, but she has a beautiful neck!

hugs,
aimeslee